Grants & Scholarships
Grants & Scholarships
The Newtown Arts Festival was established in 2011 with two goals in mind:
1. To support and promote local arts and the community in a town-wide celebration.
2. To raise money for arts related college scholarships and provide grants for local artists and arts organizations.
Currently in our eleventh year, three scholarships will be awarded to Newtown residents who are graduating high school. We will also award two grants, one to an individual artist and the other to a Newtown based group, club, or arts organization that enriches the cultural life of the community.
Our grants have helped accomplish many things – a new hanging system for the Flagpole Photographers and others to show their work at the Municipal Center Art Gallery, new stage flooring for the Town Players Little Theatre, and two artisan showcases, one at the Newtown Community Center and the other at the Municipal Center Art Gallery.
Public art projects include:
-Virginia Zimmerman’s train mural on the Church Hill Road overpass
-The Dog Park mural designed and painted by Lindsay Fuori
-Paula Brinkman’s two-year beautification project at Fairfield Hills that resulted in The Doors at Fairfield Hills and several painted windows on boarded up buildings.
Three other artists collaborated on the Doors project Dave Brooker, Julia Sikes Provey, and Kristine Humber. Julia Sikes Provey’s will be painting an interactive mural at this year’s festival that will be hung at the Community Center for everyone to enjoy.
1. Must be a graduating senior and Newtown resident
2. Plan to attend a two or four year college
3. Plan to major in an arts related field Grant requirements for local individuals and Newtown based groups, clubs, and arts organizations :
Bring art to the community (e.g., Friends of Seniors, Town Players)
1. Have a plan to share their project with the community
2. Can complete their project within one year from the date they receive the award. From the Newtown Arts Festival to our scholarships and grants, the intent has been to create greater awareness and accessibility to the arts in our community.
WHAT ARE THE DATES? AND HOURS?
The Newtown Arts Festival 2023 opens on with Friday Night September 22th concert. The Festival continues at Fairfield Hills September 23rd and 24th from 11am to 5pm each day. Daytime tickets are $3 for children under 12 and $5 for all others.